Our selection of guidance documents and website links can provide guidance and information for preparing your city-wide liquid waste management strategy – from conception of the strategy to implementation. Evidence of good practice from other countries can serve as a source of inspiration. It is likely that many of the approaches will have to be adapted to the requirements and local context of sanitation services in Ghana.
Participants are encouraged to propose innovative approaches, which may not have been previously tested, to tackle the challenge of urban sanitation.
Guidance documents for all stages
From design to implementation
What is a faecal sludge management strategy?
- How to develop a concerted municipal strategy for water and sanitation, PS-Eau. http://bit.ly/1RaUAeW
- Sanitation 21: A Planning Framework for Improving City-Wide Sanitation Services, IWA-EAWAG. http://www.iwa-network.org/filemanager-uploads/IWA-Sanitation-21_22_09_14-LR.pdf
What is safe sanitation?
- The Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) for Water and Sanitation: What is new? What is Different? IRC. http://bit.ly/1WX9sUU
- Poor-Inclusive Urban Sanitation: An Overview, WSP. http://bit.ly/1NYHXVd
- The Missing Link in Sanitation Service Delivery: A Review of Fecal Sludge Management in 12 Cities, WSP. http://sfd.susana.org/resources/recommended-readings?details=2037
Understanding faecal sludge management
Faecal Sludge Management: Systems Approach for Implementation and Operations, EAWAG-IWA. http://bit.ly/1LjtGMo
How to collect data to identify existing access to safe sanitation?
- The Shit Flow Diagram, WSP with the Gates Foundation and GIZ http://sfd.susana.org/
- Model Terms of Reference: Planning Urban Sanitation and Wastewater Management Improvements, Asian Development Bank. http://bit.ly/1j4WDF6
- How to analyse the demand of current and future users for water and sanitation services in towns and cities in Africa, pS-Eau. http://bit.ly/1iX2YTa
- SaniPath Rapid Assessment Tool: SaniPath Rapid Assessment Tool. http://sanipath.org/the-tool/download/
Where are the blockages in the delivery of sanitation services?
- Sanitation Markets Pathfinder, Sophie Trémolet, SHARE/DFID. http://www.tremolet.com/publications/sanitation-markets-pathfinder-paper
- Ghana MAF - Country Action Plan For Sanitation. http://www.sanitationchallenge4ghana.org/_docs/MAF_Final_Draft_Final_Ghana_MAF_CAP_on_Sanitation_November_2011_1.pdf
What are possible approaches to engage with communities?
EAWAG Guidelines for Community-Led Urban Environmental Sanitation Planning. (CLUES). http://www.eawag.ch/en/department/sandec/projects/sesp/clues/
Possible technological solutions
- Compendium of sanitation systems and technologies, EAWAG and WSSCC. http://bit.ly/1P0XPWZ
- Non-Conventional Sewerage Services, pS-Eau. http://bit.ly/1MSISB8
Potential allocations of responsibilities between private and public sectors
- Governance in Urban Sanitation: Institutional Aspects, UNITAR
- Un-sewered Sanitation Improvements for the Urban Poor, African Water Facility. http://bit.ly/1COZJm3
Engaging with private sector: supporting private sector development
Designing effective contracts for small-scale service providers in urban water and sanitation, WSUP and BDP. http://bit.ly/1kBJrcJ
Understanding the link between sanitation, water resource management and environment efficiency
- National Environmental Sanitation Strategy and Action Plan (NESSAP)
- Understand your system, SSWM toolkit, Andreas Pain. http://www.sswm.info/category/understand-your-system/introduction
Planning investments: what we need to think about
- Strategic Environmental Sanitation Investment Plan (SESIP). http://www.sanitationchallenge4ghana.org/_docs/Final_SESIP_June_2010.pdf
- Financing on-site sanitation for the poor, Trémolet S. et al., WSP 2010. http://www.wsp.org/sites/wsp.org/files/publications/financing_analysis.pdf
- Public funding for sanitation: the many faces of sanitation subsidies, B. Evans and A. Peal, 2009, WSSCC. http://bit.ly/1MNnbCL
- Costing investments in sanitation, Trémolet Consulting (unpublished)
- Public funds for sanitation programme activities, Trémolet Consulting (unpublished)
- WAHCost, IRC. http://bit.ly/1Yez50q
What are the potential sources of financing? Trémolet Consulting (unpublished)
Leveraging private investments: microfinance for HHs and businesses and what role for public sector to develop this market?
Indicators for monitoring sanitation services
Metadata on suggested indicators for Global Monitoring of the Sustainable Development Goal 6 on Water and Sanitation, UN-Water, 2015. http://bit.ly/1NynfXA
Markets: public toilets
How to manage Public Toilets and Showers, Ps-Eau. http://bit.ly/1P0Wbon
Technology options for latrine construction provided by UNICEF in collabporation with KNUST, including manuals and assessment tools: https://www.unicef.org/ghana/wes_11302.html