Learn how Kwahu East District Assembly is implementing a liquid waste management strategy which will transform the livelihoods of this district.
Progress up till date (report updated until mid March 2017)
- SC4Gh ownership by the traditional authorities
- Open defaecation reduced in project area due to SC4Gh sensitisation
- Desire for prospecting for PPP opportunities record high
- Project communities (Abetifi, Nkwatia, Pepease, and Kwahu Tafo) have accepted the project and willing to be part of the implementation.
- About four acres of land identified as waste disposal site (exploring possibility of including treatment plant)
- Hygiene Education promotion on going (Agoo FM, Abuoba FM, LifeFM, GNA)
- General excitement about the prize at the mainly at the assembly level
The challenges has to do with the political transition resulting in delay of implementation; funding; challenges in identifying partners ready bring in resources/ expertise for treatment plant. By-laws not really enforced – to gazette and enforce under the SC4Gh.
“We were almost sleeping but we are now awake and will be more dedicated” – District Coordinating Director.